Monday, June 30, 2008

Punch the button, not the attendant



My friend Matt and I were on our way to breakfast recently. Matt's claim to fame is that he nearly died on a Tibetan mountain pass when his car broke down one time. He, his wife and son were saved by the thoughtful actions of their driver. He pointed the disabled car toward the fading sunlight and, using the hood, redirected sufficient rays to thaw the frozen line. Matt has other claims to fame, but that was the coolest one I heard during this particular breakfast.

At any rate, on the way to food, we stopped for fuel. I would think by now we would have standardized the gas pump. Apparently not. This one, with it's unique variety of questions to answer, selections to make, and buttons to push, nearly stumped us. And that's saying something: Matt's an engineer and me, well, I graduated from Ball State University.

Once the gas was flowing we noticed the button and sign shown below. Apparently we were not alone in our frustration with the complicated pump. It looked liked someone had tried with great vigor to "speak with an attendant," enough vigor to snap off portions of the button!


No comments: