Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Grateful for God's provision

Here’s something I’m thankful for today: Food. Yummy food in ample quantity. Many people around the world do not have ample food, tasty or otherwise. If there’s food to buy, they lay awake at night wondering how they’ll afford to get it for their kids. Other people can’t enjoy food right now like my friend who struggles with anorexia and my dad who finds little or no appeal in food as he battles cancer.

But I’m thankful for the food I’ve enjoyed today: Fresh blueberries to put on my cereal this morning; tasty kettle-fried potato chips with the box lunch at the conference I’m attending; and as I walked to the workshop in which I’m typing this, some young volunteer was passing out Dove ice cream bars. Wow. Culinary utopia and dinner hasn’t even happened yet.

Of course I’d trade it all to see my friend and dad share a large pizza or a bag of White Castle hamburgers. And whole cities, nations where the food is running out? Well, that’s hard to even imagine.

No comments: