Wednesday, October 8, 2008

John Adams: What a Man

Ann and I are nearing the conclusion of part seven of HBO's John Adams. You know that feeling of impending sadness as you near the end of a really good book? I'm feeling it big time. What a fascinating story. What an amazing man. 

The fear John Adams expresses repeatedly in this film has certainly been proved true in my life. the icons of the Revolution in my mind have always been Washington, Jefferson, Revere. I've given hardly a second thought to the second president. No more. 

Unless you have serious issues of conscience with television, I urge you to buy, rent, or borrow this series and watch it through. It's not entirely kid safe (Well, depending on your kids, I suppose.), so be aware. Except for a gruesome tar and feathering in the first episode, the three other snips that we'd edit out for our kids come with ample forewarning. And there are some bad words. Noble as the founding fathers were, they sometimes spoke with passion expressed by the oaths of the day. 

Here are some lessons for me from John Adams:

• Think hard, study hard, work tremendously hard.
• Marry a good woman (I've done this.) Listen to her often, carefully and with a mind to put into action what she says. (I could do better at this.)
• The anticipation of your place in history can haunt your fiercely.
• Adams had remarkable foresight in his younger days, but seemed as an old man to lose some of it. But what do I know of being old?
• Invest in good friends and stick with them.
• Revolution is for young men, but we'd all darn well better listen to the old men. They know, and realize they don't know, things which we have yet to imagine. 
john-adams.jpg

One last thought: This film helped me decide one important issue. I'm definitely getting Paul Giamatti for my movie. And probably Laura Linney as well. No, I don't actually have a movie right now. But when I do, these two are definitely going to star in it. Until then, I'm going to work on perfecting my Paul Giamatti/John Adams glare, scowl and grin combo. See what I mean in these youtube clips. Go here for more info.

No comments: