Sunday, July 27, 2008

Sermon hat trick

I heard three sermons today. So, as you might imagine, I’m feeling pretty holy.



This wasn't one of the three preachers I heard today, but it is cool that he has two microphones!

Pastor Matt and I took our interns to a Lutheran church as part of our effort to introduce them to different styles of following Jesus. That service, which featured real, but nasty, wine, ended just after nine am. This gave me enough time to zip over and slip into Union Chapel just as announcements ended for the first service. Gregg’s sermon was sharp, but not longer than usual. (Surprising since he’d been out of the pulpit for three weeks!) A quick hop across the parking lot and I was ready for message number three at CommonWay.

The first sermon had to do with prayer. While I’m a big fan of prayer, I’m afraid most of the content was pushed out of my brain by the latter two sermons.

Sermon two was the first in a three part series on service and volunteering. It centered around Moses’s call at the burning bush, particularly God’s question to Moses, “What’s in your hand?” The key point was that God has put stuff in our hands and given us opportunity to use it for His kingdom. We can if we will. What’s in your hand?

The third message (far and away the longest!) dealt with Christ’s reign in our lives and how it works out not only in good times but also in bad. It featured a brilliant real life example of letting Jesus carry out his character building work when life is bleak and challenging. The speaker was honest and authentic, without being maudlin. I appreciated it.

Are you wondering which was best? Keep wondering. In the unlikely event that someone besides my mom reads this blog, ranking them could only mean trouble!

3 comments:

paulmerrill said...

I'm someone besides your mom who reads your blog.

(My mom doesn't even read my blog - she doesn't have a computer, by choice. At 79 yrs, I can't convince her otherwise.)

Anonymous said...

I did read it and I do want to know which pastor preached the best sermon even though I know it couldn't have been you.
Mom

Joel said...

I was at the First Church of the Left Turn. Did you know that Dale Earnhardt, Jr.'s new nickname is "Redneck Jesus"? Or so I'm told.